Sausage and Leftover Barley Stuffed Pepperswith green lettuce side salad
Stuffed peppers are a classic dinner. Tonight's feature sausage, leftover barley, and beans for lots of textures and flavors.
Smarts: You can stuff peppers with anything! It's such a versatile dish. Just bake for 10 to 15 minutes!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, any type (good for stuffing) - 4, tops sliced off for easy stuffing
- Sausage, cooked (pick your fave type) - 2, diced
- Cannellini beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover cooked barley - ~2 cups
- Dried herbs (like basil, Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano) - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 1/2 cups
- Green lettuce - 1/2 head, chopped
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Onions / Peppers / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven to 375F (or 190C) degrees.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil with some salt and pepper. Saute for ~2 minutes, until softened.
- Next fold in sausage, beans, leftover barley, dried herbs, and crushed tomatoes. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Brush the outside of the peppers with some cooking oil and then place pepper halves into a baking dish or onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then divide filling into peppers.
- Transfer to oven, and roast for 10 to 12 minutes (if you’re a cheese fan and have some cheese in your fridge, sprinkle on in the last half of cooking).
- While peppers are roasting, whisk vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When peppers are done, toss vinaigrette with green lettuce and enjoy!
This meal has 37 reviews
Combining cooked sausage and beans seemed like an odd filling for a stuffed pepper. We took other's suggestions and cooked the pepper for longer than recommended and it was still crunchy. Overall, just not a favorite and not something we would make again.
Would definitely make this again. Great flavor and easy to make! I used ground turkey, so I cooked that first and then added it to the veggie mix later. And I didn't make the side salad because I figured there were enough veggies in the main dish!
I cooked the unstuffed peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper for 15 minutes and then let them cool slightly as I prepared the rest of the meal. I added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the stuffing and sprinkled the tops of the peppers with goat cheese crumbles in the last five minutes of baking. Very yummy!
I was pleasantly surprised with how much flavor these had! I followed recommendations to cook them a bit longer to make the peppers a bit softer - I went for 30 minutes, and it was perfect.
delicious..we used kielbasa
I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this!