Sausage and Leftover Barley Stuffed Pepperswith green lettuce side salad
Stuffed peppers are a classic dinner. Tonight's feature sausage, leftover barley, and beans for lots of textures and flavors.
Smarts: You can stuff peppers with anything! It's such a versatile dish. Just bake for 10 to 15 minutes!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, any type (good for stuffing) - 4, tops sliced off for easy stuffing
- Sausage, cooked (pick your fave type) - 2, diced
- Cannellini beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover cooked barley - ~2 cups
- Dried herbs (like basil, Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano) - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 1/2 cups
- Green lettuce - 1/2 head, chopped
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Onions / Peppers / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven to 375F (or 190C) degrees.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil with some salt and pepper. Saute for ~2 minutes, until softened.
- Next fold in sausage, beans, leftover barley, dried herbs, and crushed tomatoes. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Brush the outside of the peppers with some cooking oil and then place pepper halves into a baking dish or onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then divide filling into peppers.
- Transfer to oven, and roast for 10 to 12 minutes (if you’re a cheese fan and have some cheese in your fridge, sprinkle on in the last half of cooking).
- While peppers are roasting, whisk vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When peppers are done, toss vinaigrette with green lettuce and enjoy!
This meal has 37 reviews
I subbed wheatberries for barley so it would cook faster. Used ground Italian sausage and added a can of black beans. Doubled cooking time and added goat cheese at end. Very yummy. Skipped the salad but would be yummy with it. I also ended up with extra filling moisture but plan to freeze to use again soon. Easy weeknight meal!
Good. I substituted ground turkey and it turned out nicely.
The flavor was good, but the stuffed pepper is just too fussy to eat. Next time I'll just chop up the pepper and mix it all together.
Used bulgur instead of barley. More sausage would have been much better!
Note to self: Subbed freekeh for barley.
I mixed in several tablespoons of pesto instead of dried herbs. This was a tasty and easy way to use up leftover barley and crushed tomatoes.