Sausage and Leftover Barley Stuffed Peppers
with green lettuce side salad
Smarts: You can stuff peppers with anything! It's such a versatile dish. Just bake for 10 to 15 minutes!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, any type (good for stuffing) - 4, tops sliced off for easy stuffing
- Sausage, cooked (pick your fave type) - 2, diced
- Cannellini beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover cooked barley - ~2 cups
- Dried herbs (like basil, Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano) - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 1/2 cups
- Green lettuce - 1/2 head, chopped
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 375F (or 190C) degrees.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil with some salt and pepper. Saute for ~2 minutes, until softened.
- Next fold in sausage, beans, leftover barley, dried herbs, and crushed tomatoes. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Brush the outside of the peppers with some cooking oil and then place pepper halves into a baking dish or onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then divide filling into peppers.
- Transfer to oven, and roast for 10 to 12 minutes (if you’re a cheese fan and have some cheese in your fridge, sprinkle on in the last half of cooking).
- While peppers are roasting, whisk vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When peppers are done, toss vinaigrette with green lettuce and enjoy!
kids loved it! I added some spinach.0 Helpful
Has potential, but needs more flavor. Might try a bolder sausage next time and canned crushed tomatoes, since I had to substitute with fresh chopped tomatoes. Needs double the cooking time in my oven. 20-30 minutes. Oldest daughter liked it, youngest thought it was ok, hubby commented positively that it was "nice and light"... I froze the leftover filling to pack in kids' lunches next week.0 Helpful
Easy enough to make, but the flavor wasn't quite there for me.0 Helpful
Made with white kidney beans instead & froze extra0 Helpful
Delicious! I made 8 servings and froze 4. Lot of extra stuffing!0 Helpful
This is our absolute favorite. They freeze well, which makes for easy, quick lunches. We have these about every other week and never get sick of them. I use salsa spiced canned tomatoes for a little extra heat.0 Helpful