Shakshuka with Mediterranean Platter
of pita, hummus, and fresh veggies
Our classic baked Mediterranean egg dish was originally featured the week of 10/27/14 and has been a favorite by vegetarians and carnivores. This week, we're pairing it with a Mediterranean platter for a simple, fun meal.
Shakshuka with Mediterranean Platter:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Jalapenos - 3 , seeds removed and diced ((sub 1 green pepper))
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Bell peppers, any type - 1 , sliced
- Cucumbers - 1 , sliced into sticks
- Gluten-free pita (or other bread) - 4
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 6 oz
- Hummus, store-bought - 8 oz
- Optional step if you want to toast your gluten-free breads. Heat oven or toaster oven to 350F (177C) degrees. Toast breads for 5 to 7 minutes when oven has warmed up.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan and then garlic, onions, and jalapenos to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened.
- Add in diced tomatoes with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Mix everything through. Saute for ~4 minutes.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Garnish shakshuka with parsley. Arrange your Mediterranean platter of pita, baby carrots, peppers, cucumbers, and hummus. If you have leftover Greek yogurt, you can also serve that up with the shakshuka and veggies. Use pita to scoop up shakshuka and hummus. The veggies can be dipped into hummus and yogurt.