Shakshuka with Mediterranean Platter
of pita, hummus, and fresh veggies
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 3, seeds removed and diced ((sub 1 green pepper))
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Bell peppers, any type - 1, sliced
- Cucumbers - 1, sliced into sticks
- Pita bread - 4
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 6 oz
- Hummus, store-bought - 8 oz
- Optional step if you want to toast your pita. Heat oven or toaster oven to 350F (177C) degrees. Toast pita for 5 to 7 minutes when oven has warmed up.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan and then garlic, onions, and jalapenos to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened.
- Add in diced tomatoes with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Mix everything through. Saute for ~4 minutes.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Garnish shakshuka with parsley. Arrange your Mediterranean platter of pita, baby carrots, peppers, cucumbers, and hummus. If you have leftover Greek yogurt, you can also serve that up with the shakshuka and veggies. Use pita to scoop up shakshuka and hummus. The veggies can be dipped into hummus and yogurt.
Delicious! Next time I would use a 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder and 3/4 an onion so it's not too spicy for our toddler. Loved the parsley and Greek yogurt with it. Would also add two more eggs to feed all of us0 Helpful
Looked better than it tasted. Glad I tried but not great.0 Helpful
Very tasty but won't cook the eggs as long next time! Would be delicious with some chorizo.0 Helpful
Really enjoyed it! My kids added feta cheese to theirs.0 Helpful
Phenomenal dish0 Helpful
Over did the eggs a bit more then I would like. This would make a great breakfast dish w/ toast0 Helpful