Chicken Soba - Favorites Version
with shortcut coleslaw mix
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 5 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Buckwheat soba noodles - 1/2 lb
- Coleslaw mix (or sub with shredded cabbage and carrots) - 8 oz
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Make marinade - Chop green onions (keep white and green parts separate). Whisk together white parts of green onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil, and first part of cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice and pour ¼ of the marinade over the chicken. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Boil noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to packaged instructions. Soba noodles don’t take long to cook, so keep an eye out. After draining, spread noodles out onto a sheet pan which will keep them from sticking.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil and then coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until tender but still crunchy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add noodles and chicken to pan and then pour in the remainder of the sauce. Toss and finish with lime juice and green parts of green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper (or a few drops of hot sauce).
Yummy, but despite modifications oily and unhealthy. I used the listed amount of oils in the sauce but doubled all the other ingredients in the sauce (kept rest of recipe the same except added mushrooms and edamame) and it was the right amount of sauce for that amount of noodles but still too oily. If I make it again I'll use HALF the oil and maybe add more other liquids to the sauce to compensate.0 Helpful
So good!0 Helpful
After reading earlier comments I used less oil than the recipe recommends and was really happy with the meal. Nice and simple with plenty of flavour.0 Helpful
Made 1/2 the noodles, twice the sauce (but did not double the oil), and used broccoli slaw mix. Perfect.0 Helpful
I'm health conscious, and thought that this dish was WAY too oily. Just look at the ingredients list - cooking oil and sesame oil make up 95% of the marinade. I cooked it as instructed, and the whole thing tasted like an oil pot. Also, there was too much soba noodles. Recommend using half the marinade and less noodles. I did like how they used the coleslaw in this dish though. Pre-shredded carrots and red cabbage are easy to find in the produce aisle so that was convenient prep-wise.0 Helpful
Made too much and had leftovers for lunch the next day0 Helpful