Asian-Spiced Fish Tacoswith Asian slaw and Sriracha mayo
Originally part of 10/20/14's meal plan, we've updated this meal with a coleslaw shortcut so that you can get to deliciousness even faster!
Smarts: Coleslaw mix is a perfect little shortcut as pre-shredded cabbage and carrots keep well.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Mayo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - to taste ((~1 tsp is a good heat level))
- Tilapia - 1 lb, chopped into bite-sized pieces ((sub red snapper))
- Eggs - 1, whisked
- Panko breadcrumbs - 2/3 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- White pepper - 1/2 tsp ((sub black pepper))
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil (opt) - for brushing
- Tortillas - 8
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced thinly
- Coleslaw mix (or sub with shredded cabbage and carrots) - 8 oz
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Toss coleslaw mix with green onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and dry. Slice into bite-sized pieces. Toss with some salt and pepper.
- Prep breading stations - Whisk egg in a bowl large enough to fit all the fish. Combine panko, salt, garlic powder, white pepper, and toasted sesame oil in a Ziploc bag or in a Tupperware container that can fit all the fish.
- For Sriracha Mayo | Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Mix together minced garlic, mayo, and lemon juice, and season to taste with Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Coat fish with whisked egg. Then transfer to bag or container with breading. Shake until fish is coated.
- Spread breaded fish out into one even layer on a sheet pan. If you want the final product to be more golden, brush the fish with some oil. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Slice limes into wedges.
- Taste slaw and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy fish tacos with lime wedges topped with slaw and Sriracha mayo.
This meal has 84 reviews
Husband loved this. Fairly easy. I added chopped avocado to the mayo. Yum!
My son prefers the other panko fish taco (cumin) and slaw, but I liked this one too.
This was fast and really tasty!
All the components to this recipe made the dish successful. It was tasty especially with the spicey mayo. I'd make it again.