Cajun Shrimp and Bell Peppers
with cajun cauliflower rice
Today's meal draws inspiration from the hearty food of New Orleans. We've lightened up some of the classic components while keeping the flavors robust and satisfying. To keep it paleo, we are serving it over cauliflower rice.
Smarts: Can't find Cajun seasoning? Approximate by mixing equal parts paprika, celery seed, garlic powder, dried basil, dried thyme, and white pepper. Add cayenne to taste.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, shelled and de-veined
- Sausage, cooked - 2 links, sliced
- Red onions, small - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, any type - 2, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Grassfed butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons or limes - 1/2, juice from
- Cauliflower - 1/2 head, broken into florets and pulsed in the food processor
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Make cauliflower rice by heating a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, and then cauliflower rice to heated oil. Season with Cajun seasoning and saute until cauliflower is tender but still a bit crunchy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, heat oil and grassfed butter over medium-high heat in a saute pan or skillet. Add sliced onions and peppers to heated fats with Cajun seasoning and some salt and pepper. Cook until they are tender and sweet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, sausage, and minced garlic, cover, and cook until the shrimp is pink, firm, and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Finish with freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice.
- To serve, plate the cauliflower rice and then heap the shrimp, sausage, and peppers on top. Enjoy!
Delicious and came together quickly! Definitely don’t use salt if your Cajun seasoning already has salt though. I’d also use only half the seasoning for the shrimp sauté and up the rice to 1 cup next time.0 Helpful
Did the rice mix in the pressure cooker while I sauteed everything else on the stove. Added some ham but I think I should've gone for bacon or smoked sausage instead for some smokiness.0 Helpful
Probably could have used less cajun spice on shrimp0 Helpful
I vote for not adding peppers into red beans and rice.0 Helpful
Great flavors! Warm up the cauliflower rice again before serving to keep it all the same temperature :)0 Helpful
I loved how easy this was. I loved how flavorful it was. Perfect meal!0 Helpful