Spicy Indian Tofu Wrap
with minty yogurt and cucumber sauce
We love Indian food because of the enticing and creative use of spices. This week we're jazzing up tofu with Indian spices and wrapping it in fluffy naan bread. Worried about the spice? Don't be! The minty yogurt sauce will cool you down and leave you cool as a cucumber.
Smarts: Can't find naan? Pita bread or flour tortillas are a fine substitution.
- Cucumbers, small - 1, peeled and julienned
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Yogurt, plain - 2 cups
- Shallots - 1 bulb, finely chopped
- Romaine lettuce - 2 cups, thinly sliced
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb, cubed
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Curry powder - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Naan - 4 pieces
- Sriracha or hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Shallots / Romaine lettuce - Prep as directed. Mix together. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Make yogurt sauce - In a medium mixing bowl combine cucumber, mint, and yogurt. Add salt to taste. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Cube and then season with cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Heat up naan according to package instructions.
- Assemble wraps by dividing tofu equally among the wraps. Top with shallots and lettuce mixture, spoon yogurt mint sauce on top, and drizzle on Sriracha or other hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
I added this to my menu, but the instructions don't say how to cook the chicken, so I'm wasting lots of time trying to figure that out. I tried reading some other comments for a hint and see you where already told this was an issue back on Mar 28, 2015.0 Helpful
Liked this much better in the indian wraps than the meal last night.0 Helpful
I really wanted and expected to love this one. The flavors were all fantastic. However, the texture of the chicken ruined it for me. The leftover pulled chicken turned to mush when heated.0 Helpful
I wish there was a more middle ground option. This was decent, just not one of my faves, since there have been so many good recipes.0 Helpful
I added this recipe to my week and I'm surprised there are no instructions for making the chicken or at least a link to Monday's recipe. Now I have to go look online elsewhere. You guys have a lot of room for improvement!0 Helpful
This will be my new go-to recipe when I'm craving Indian food!0 Helpful