Sweet and Spicy Corn and Hominy Pozole
with poblanos and scallions
We're making pozole, a wonderful Southwestern stew of bean, hominy, and corn. With fire-roasted tomatoes, adobo sauce, and poblanos, this is a sweet and smoky dish that will leave you full and happy.
Smarts: Poblanos are dark green and longish peppers. If you can't find them sub 1 green pepper / 2 poblanos and add a bit more heat to the final product!
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Zucchini - 1, diced
- Poblano peppers - 2, seeded and chopped ((sub 1 green pepper / 2 poblanos))
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped
- Limes - 1/2, cut into wedges
- Corn (15 oz) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Hominy (15 oz) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pinto beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 Tbsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 3 tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 4 cups
- Crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium pot or Dutch oven. Add onion to heated oil with a dash of salt, and saute until translucent, ~5 minutes.
- Add the poblanos, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne, honey, and adobo sauce.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release any stuck onion or spices.
- Add the corn, hominy, beans, vegetable broth, and crushed tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add zucchini, and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors the mingle.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
Perfect sweet and spicy balance. Reduced liquid by 1/2 cup and cooked it in my Instant Pot for 8 minutes.0 Helpful
way too much vinegar, and probably too much broth too.0 Helpful
I actually ate the chicken on the salad and it was really good. I loved getting to use my slow cooker. it means less mess for me!0 Helpful
way to acidic and way too much liquid. this is the first recipe of hers I have not loved.0 Helpful
A bit too vinegary for me, too, but loved how easy it was. Next time I might just made it with some rice, too. Felt like I needed more carbs with this meal.0 Helpful
I loved the flavors, and it was an easy meal to throw together. Mine came out pretty soupy though, and we mostly ended up getting rid of the liquid. Didn't seem like such a loss because the flavors in the chicken were so great, but it did make me wonder if I had used too much and would have been better off with less of each of the liquid ingredients.0 Helpful