Sweet and Spicy Slow-Cooker Chickenwith romaine, corn, and pepita salad in a lime vinaigrette
This slow-cooker chicken is a breeze to make and has all of the sweet and spicy flavors that you love about barbecue, without all of the fat. No smoke and mirrors here, just some tender and tasty chicken!
Smarts: This dish can be made a day ahead if you like. Don't forget to save some of the leftovers for tomorrow night's Indian chicken wraps!
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 5
- Crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 cup
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Garlic powder - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 Tbsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1 tbsp , juice of
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
- Yogurt, plain - 2 Tbsp
- Romaine lettuce - 1/2 head, thinly sliced
- Corn (15 oz) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pumpkin seeds (pepita) - 1/3 cup
- Slow cook chicken - In your slow cooker combine the chicken breasts, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, cider vinegar, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and hot sauce. Set cooker to low and cook until chicken is falling apart and tender, 3 to 4 hours, or 1-1/2 to 2 hours if using the high setting. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make salad dressing - Combine lime juice and red wine vinegar with mustard, honey, oil, and yogurt. Whisk with a fork until combined. Add more cooking oil if the dressing is too tart. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Romaine - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Corn - Drain and rinse.
- Pull cooked chicken meat apart with two forks to shred. Remember to save half of the meat for tomorrow’s Indian chicken wraps!
- Assemble salad by topping the shredded romaine with the corn and pumpkin seeds. Toss with dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pulled chicken with the side salad. Enjoy!
This meal has 111 reviews
Perfect sweet and spicy balance. Reduced liquid by 1/2 cup and cooked it in my Instant Pot for 8 minutes.
way too much vinegar, and probably too much broth too.
I actually ate the chicken on the salad and it was really good. I loved getting to use my slow cooker. it means less mess for me!
way to acidic and way too much liquid. this is the first recipe of hers I have not loved.
A bit too vinegary for me, too, but loved how easy it was. Next time I might just made it with some rice, too. Felt like I needed more carbs with this meal.
I loved the flavors, and it was an easy meal to throw together. Mine came out pretty soupy though, and we mostly ended up getting rid of the liquid. Didn't seem like such a loss because the flavors in the chicken were so great, but it did make me wonder if I had used too much and would have been better off with less of each of the liquid ingredients.