Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
with zesty romaine & cabbage side salad
- Onions, yellow - 2, thinly sliced
- Cooking oil - 1/2 Tbsp + 2/3 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Cheese, monterey jack - 8 slices
- Romaine lettuce - 1/2 head, thinly sliced
- Cabbage, red - 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Celery stalks - 2 , thinly sliced
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Cut the sandwich rolls up the middle with a knife if not pre-cut.
- Slice the cheese if not pre-sliced.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over high heat. Add first part of cooking oil, onions, and a sprinkle of salt and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are translucent and starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 more minutes until onions are deeply browned and sweet. If the pan ever looks too dry, just add a splash of water. Add red wine vinegar in the last 2 minutes.
- Place 2 cheese slices in each roll and top with caramelized onions
- Heat second part of cooking oil over medium heat in a saute pan or skillet cook the grilled cheeses for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until the cheese is melting and the bread has browned.
- Salt and pepper salad to taste. Serve grilled cheese sandwiches with side salad. Enjoy!
Loved this added some blue cheese and bell peppers for a little extra flavor very tasty!!0 Helpful
This recipe doesn't seem to include removing the membrane from the skirt steak. I'm wondering if that is why several comments say the meat was tough or chewy, if they didn't remove the membrane. Anyway, we had this with basil mayo and it was delicious!0 Helpful
My bad. Used the wrong meat cut. Although tasty, meat was chewy.0 Helpful
Would have been better to marinate the steak first.0 Helpful
A bit too dry.0 Helpful
Added mushrooms to the onions and a bit of feta on top. Amazing!0 Helpful