Skirt Steak Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
with zesty romaine & cabbage side salad
Smarts: Skirt steak is a great cut of steak for sandwiches like this because it is quick to cook, packed with flavor, and requires very little seasoning.
- Skirt steak - 1 lb
- Onions, yellow - 2, thinly sliced
- Cooking oil - 1/2 Tbsp + 2/3 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Romaine lettuce - 1/2 head, thinly sliced
- Cabbage, red - 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Celery stalks - 2 , thinly sliced
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Season steak - Season steak with some salt and pepper on both sides and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Romaine / Cabbage / Celery - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Combine lime juice with honey, mustard, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with romaine, cabbage, and celery.
- Cut the sandwich rolls up the middle with a knife if not pre-cut.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over high heat. Add first part of cooking oil, onions, and a sprinkle of salt and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are translucent and starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 more minutes until onions are deeply browned and sweet. If the pan ever looks too dry, just add a splash of water. Add red wine vinegar in the last 2 minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing, heat second part of cooking oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until steak is browned and firm to the touch.
- Remove the steak and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, toast your sandwich buns in the oven, toaster oven, or by browning over medium heat on a skillet or griddle.
- Slice rested steak against the grain (look for the fibers of the steak and slice perpendicular to them).
- Toss lime vinaigrette with romaine, cabbage, and celery. Salt and pepper salad to taste. Place steak and onions on a toasted roll and serve with salad. Enjoy!
Loved this added some blue cheese and bell peppers for a little extra flavor very tasty!!0 Helpful
This recipe doesn't seem to include removing the membrane from the skirt steak. I'm wondering if that is why several comments say the meat was tough or chewy, if they didn't remove the membrane. Anyway, we had this with basil mayo and it was delicious!0 Helpful
My bad. Used the wrong meat cut. Although tasty, meat was chewy.0 Helpful
Would have been better to marinate the steak first.0 Helpful
A bit too dry.0 Helpful
Added mushrooms to the onions and a bit of feta on top. Amazing!0 Helpful