Black Bean and Corn Salad
with red cabbage, queso fresco, and a cumin vinaigrette
We love Southwestern salads like this because of all of the bright colors and flavors. This salad is filling and festive enough that even carnivores won't notice it's vegetarian!
Smarts: Queso Fresco is a soft Mexican cows milk cheese, much like Feta but milder. It is available in the cheese aisle of most supermarkets and at Mexican speciality markets.
- Cabbage, red - 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 1 cup, grated or shredded (bagged pre-shredded carrot is fine for this)
- Jicama - 1 cup, grated or shredded
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, roughly chopped
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp + 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Queso fresco (opt) - 4 Tbsp, crumbled
- Make the salad - Shred the cabbage, carrots, and jicama. Chop cilantro. Combine with salt, first part of cumin, sugar, and first part of cider vinegar in a bowl and let sit for at least 15 minutes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make the vinaigrette - Combine the olive oil with the second part of cumin and second part of cider vinegar. Add salt to taste.
- Black beans / Corn - Drain and rinse.
- Cube avocado. Toss seasoned cabbage mixture with vinaigrette, avocado, corn, and black beans. Give it a squeeze of lime juice and crumble queso fresco over the top, and garnish with more cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Yum! Did this on a no menu night and it was great. Thought black beans sounded strange so also made quinoa, but really didn't need it- made for great leftovers though!0 Helpful
chops very good and coleslaw with a zing.0 Helpful
Really liked the chops. Beans were okay but I used dry salted ones (made them sit in cold water for an hour). The slaw was surprisingly juicy and paired well with the meat.0 Helpful
I almost made it. I didn't do the slaw (I did sweet potato fries instead). But the chops and beans were very tasty. While resting the chops, I recommend throwing the beans in the pan with some additional salt and pepper for additional flavour and heat.0 Helpful
Kids loved the pork chops. Didn't make the slaw.0 Helpful