Oven Roasted Pork Chops
with black beans, cumin and cilantro slaw
Smarts: Want to get ahead on dinner? Both the pork chops and the slaw will be tastier if seasoned the night before you eat them!
- Pork chops - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cabbage, red - 2 cups, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 cups, grated or shredded ((bagged pre-shredded is fine for this))
- Cilantro - 2 tbsp , finely chopped
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Season the pork chops - Sprinkle salt, pepper, brown sugar, and garlic powder on both sides, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make the slaw - Shred the cabbage and carrots. Chop cilantro. Combine with salt, cumin, sugar, and cider vinegar in a bowl and let sit for at least 15 minutes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Black beans - Drain and rinse.
- Preheat the oven to 425F (218C).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then sear pork chops for 2 to 3 minutes per side over high heat until they are browned and crisp.
- Place pork chops into the oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until pork is firm to the the touch (or cooked to at least 145F or 62C degrees).
- Remove pork chops from the pan and allow to rest for five minutes before slicing.
- While the pork chops are resting pour off excess fat from the pan and add black beans, stir and allow to heat through in the pork juices.
- Let people serve themselves the desired amount of pork, slaw, and beans. Enjoy!
Yum! Did this on a no menu night and it was great. Thought black beans sounded strange so also made quinoa, but really didn't need it- made for great leftovers though!0 Helpful
chops very good and coleslaw with a zing.0 Helpful
Really liked the chops. Beans were okay but I used dry salted ones (made them sit in cold water for an hour). The slaw was surprisingly juicy and paired well with the meat.0 Helpful
I almost made it. I didn't do the slaw (I did sweet potato fries instead). But the chops and beans were very tasty. While resting the chops, I recommend throwing the beans in the pan with some additional salt and pepper for additional flavour and heat.0 Helpful
Kids loved the pork chops. Didn't make the slaw.0 Helpful