Slow Cooker (or not) Rotisserie Chicken Soup
with celery and carrots
I hope no one gets the flu this season, but just in case you need a little remedy, chicken soup is my fave. Make this one in the slow cooker or in a Dutch oven.
Smarts: Feel free to scoop in a condiment / sauce like salsa, harissa, tomato paste, or even anchovy paste to add a bit of a kick to this soup.
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Carrots - 12 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Stock, chicken - 4 cups
- Place rotisserie chicken, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, dried herbs, Bay leaves, diced tomatoes and chicken stock in a slow cooker. Cook on low for ~6 hours. (If not cooking in slow cooker, heat up a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some cooking oil and then garlic, onions, celery, and carrots to heated oil and saute for ~3 minutes. Add in dried herbs, Bay leaves, tomatoes, stock, and chicken. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for ~15 minutes.)
- When soup is done, season to taste with salt and pepper. If you have leftover basil from the week, you can slice and sprinkle over soup for even more flavor. Enjoy warm!
We liked the added salsa. A fine chicken noodle soup recipe.0 Helpful
Skipped the celery (allergies) and added a little cayenne pepper for heat. Yummy!0 Helpful
Doubled the herbs as suggested and cooked with a parm rind.0 Helpful
Great, simple soup. Used orzo as I had it on hand.0 Helpful
Great basic soup. (2nd try) Paleo w/o tomatoes. Kids said too much chicken.0 Helpful
Amped up the spices quite a bit and added almost twice the amount of broth. Served shaved Italian 3-cheese blend on top. YUM! This is a keeper.0 Helpful