Slow Cooker (or not) Chicken Noodle Soup
with celery and carrots
Smarts: We use leftover salsa to add a bit of a kick to this soup. Feel free to leave out or scoop in another condiment / sauce like harissa, tomato paste, or even anchovy or miso paste.
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Stock, chicken - 4 cups
- Pasta, gluten-free orecchiette - 1 cup (sub any small pasta shape)
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, shaved or grated
- Place rotisserie chicken, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, dried herbs, Bay leaves, and chicken stock in a slow cooker. Cook on low for ~6 hours. (If not cooking in slow cooker, heat up a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some cooking oil and then garlic, onions, celery, and carrots to heated oil and saute for ~3 minutes. Add in dried herbs, Bay leaves, stock, and chicken. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for ~15 minutes.)
- If you haven’t cooked pasta from Tuesday’s dinner, cook pasta according to package instructions in a separate sauce pan.
- When soup is done, fold cooked pasta into soup with salsa. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. If you have leftover basil from the week, you can slice and sprinkle over soup for even more flavor. Enjoy warm with parmesan (if using).
We liked the added salsa. A fine chicken noodle soup recipe.0 Helpful
Skipped the celery (allergies) and added a little cayenne pepper for heat. Yummy!0 Helpful
Doubled the herbs as suggested and cooked with a parm rind.0 Helpful
Great, simple soup. Used orzo as I had it on hand.0 Helpful
Great basic soup. (2nd try) Paleo w/o tomatoes. Kids said too much chicken.0 Helpful
Amped up the spices quite a bit and added almost twice the amount of broth. Served shaved Italian 3-cheese blend on top. YUM! This is a keeper.0 Helpful