Southwestern Chopped Salad with Rotisserie Chicken
with a spiced vinaigrette
Smarts: This is a great salad for transporting in a jar. Just put the vinaigrette on the bottom, and then layer with tomatoes, peppers, bacon, and then the greens. Shake and you have a one-container salad!
- Rotisserie chicken - 2 cups, shredded
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Bell peppers, any type - 1 1/2, diced or chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Bacon - 6 slices, chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander - 1/4 tsp
- Red wine vinegar - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 5 Tbsp
- Romaine lettuce - 8 oz, chopped
- Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred; if making tomorrow’s dinner, you can do the whole chicken. Use knife and fork or just hands. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Shallots / Bell peppers / Tomatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bacon - Heat an oven to 400F (or 204C) degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and then place a cooling rack in the sheet pan. Lay out bacon on rack and bake in the oven from 15 to 20 minutes until bacon is crispy on the edges. This is a great low-effort way to cook bacon and have all the fat drip off (with little clean up!). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- If not done from last night, whisk together paprika, coriander, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop bacon.
- Toss vinaigrette with rotisserie chicken, bacon, romaine (or whatever salad green you’re using), shallots, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If making tomorrow’s meal, you can go ahead and get it slow cooking overnight if you want!
I liked it even better cold the next day! Good breakfast burrito.0 Helpful
Kiddo's liked this one a lot. Served with sliced avocados over the top.0 Helpful
The wraps were excellent! I had enough chicken left over I made a bbq chicken version the next evening =)0 Helpful
My husband and I love easy things to bring to work for lunch. This was absolutely perfect! Easy to prep the night before and stick in the microwave (or eat cold)!0 Helpful
Tasted ok and easy to make but didn't impress hubby and toddler enough to make again.0 Helpful