Red Curry Tofu Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice
This stir-fry gets another layer of fragrance with a little bit of curry paste. Combined with coconut milk, you'll get a saucy dish perfect for eating with cauliflower rice.
Smarts: If you like spice, try to find a curry paste at an Asian grocer or an Asian-branded curry paste (not Thai Kitchen).
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb, cubed
- Onions, small - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, any type - 2, sliced
- Eggplant, Chinese - 1, chopped
- Red curry paste (sub green or yellow) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Vegetable broth - 1/2 cup
- Corn starch - 2 tsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves of
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Eggplant - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cauliflower - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together red curry paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, vegetable broth, and first part of corn starch.
- Toss tofu with second part of corn starch.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute until golden and crispy on the outside, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add onions to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in eggplant and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, add peppers and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Push all ingredients to the side forming a hole in the middle, like a donut. Give stir-fry sauce a stir and pour into the donut hole. Wait for it to darken and bubble and then toss to mix.
- Fold in tofu and coconut milk and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and fold in basil leaves and finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy over cauliflower rice!
This meal tasted pretty good, but I found that it used more dishes than I normally would and I think next time I wouldn't haul out the food processor and would just make regular rice instead.0 Helpful
I used jasmine rice instead of the cauliflower rice. Really enjoyed this dish!0 Helpful
Best Thai curry that I've made at home. Omitted eggplant because I didn't have any. Added about 3 cloves garlic and 1 inch ginger. Added almost double the amount of green curry paste. Omitted the brown sugar because we don't care for sweet curries. Subbed soy sauce for fish sauce. Used water instead of stock (didn't want to open a new container). It was delicious. Toddler even ate two servings!0 Helpful
This is a favorite.0 Helpful
Delicious! I omitted the second tbsp. of oil and it was still great!0 Helpful
used yellow cyrry because I have a toddle0 Helpful