Egg and Mushroom Breakfast Tacos
with apple & mixed green salad
Smarts: Add some roasted potatoes and switch to a burrito-sized tortilla for a breakfast burrito take.
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Mushrooms, brown - 3/4 lb, chopped
- Eggs - 7
- Milk - 4 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme leaves - 1/2 tsp
- Red wine vinegar - 2 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Gluten-free tortillas (taco-sized) - 8
- Greek yogurt, plain - for serving
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Apple or pear - 1, chopped
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Sliced almonds - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk and some salt and pepper.
- Vinaigrette - Whisk vinegars, Dijon, and maple syrup with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
- Apple or pear - Chop into bite-sized pieces (or julienne!).
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shallots and thyme leaves to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, red wine vinegar, and some salt. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium heat and add butter. Once melted, pour in whisked eggs and scramble over a low heat until you get the texture you want. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Toss vinaigrette with greens, chopped apples or pears, and sliced almonds. Have everyone make their own tacos by filling tortillas with eggs, mushrooms and a dollop of Greek yogurt!
Added shredded cheese and salsa. Would have been pretty bland without those. I don't know why these recipes keep calling for yogurt. Clearly this requires sour cream.0 Helpful
will skip the red wine vinegar next time0 Helpful
I really liked this. We used sour cream instead of yogurt, added some cheese. Made for a lovely breakfast.0 Helpful
Amazing twist on normal breakfast tacos0 Helpful
The mushroom, shallot, chard vegetable mix was fantastic and so flavorful! A nice light dinner that was easy to fix.0 Helpful
These mushrooms were so good. I could've eaten bowls of just those.0 Helpful