Skillet Chicken Thighs with Cabbage
with rice pilaf
This simple skillet dinner gets dressed up with rice pilaf, which doubles as a cabbage roll stuffing the next night.
Smarts: Greek yogurt offers a creamy finish for cabbage.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb
- Cabbage - 1/2 head, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1/4 cup
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Greek yogurt, plain - for serving
- Lemon - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Parsley (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Jasmine rice, brown or white (uncooked) - 1 1/3 cups
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 2 2/3 cups
- Sliced almonds - 1/4 cup
- Chicken thighs - Mix together salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle over chicken and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- For pilaf: Garlic / Onions / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cabbage - Chop. If making tomorrow’s dinner, peel off 8 cabbage leaves (or 2 / serving) before chopping for tonight. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Rice - This makes enough for tomorrow’s meal. Rinse until water runs clear.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes, until aromatics are softened.
- Add rice and saute until pan is dry and rice starts to smell nutty. Pour in chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until all the liquid’s absorbed. Remove from heat and place a kitchen towel between pan and lid for ~10 minutes before serving.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken thighs to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock (i.e., pour chicken stock in the pan and scrape up any yummy brown bits). Add cabbage and Dijon mustard with a generous pinch of salt. Saute for ~4 minutes, until the cabbage has started to soften.
- Return chicken to the pan by nestling into the cabbage. Turn the heat down to medium. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Once rice is finished, reserve ~2 cups (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing) for tomorrow’s dinner. Fold parsley and almonds into tonight’s rice.
- Serve skillet chicken and cabbage with Greek yogurt and lemon wedges for extra creaminess and acidity. Enjoy with rice pilaf!
I don't even usually find chicken that interesting. I am more of a seafood guy. This one was one of my favorites in the past years of using CookSmarts0 Helpful
Made rice in rice cooker and then sauteed combined with onion and garlic, a little extra broth and then parsley and almonds. Used coleslaw mix for cabbage. Served with pita chips. So good and easy!0 Helpful
Rice was bland and needed a ton of salt. Chicken/cabbage was pretty good. Not memorable.0 Helpful
Really flavorful and tasty for a pretty low effort stir fry! I used store-bought matchstick carrots and shredded cabbage to speed up prep.0 Helpful
I actually forgot to put the dijon mustard in with the cabbage and this meal was still very flavorful. We did skip the almonds as I am allergic to them. My only complaint is that the recipe calls for Jasmine rice, "brown or white" but fails to specify that of you use brown, it will take 2x as long to cook. I should have remembered that, but did not. Easy to prepare.0 Helpful
Use 3/4 of rotisserie chicken instead of thighs and split with Italian soup meal0 Helpful