Shrimp Vermicelli Bowlwith a sweet, tangy, and savory nuoc nam
Everyone will be so impressed when you make this Vietnamese restaurant favorite at home. This is one of our favorite summer dishes. It's light and refreshing and packed full of fresh ingredients and then tossed with a sauce that's sweet, tangy, and savory all at the same time.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, shelled & deveined
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Green lettuce - 1 head, sliced
- Cucumbers - 3/4 lb, julienned
- Mint - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, grated
- Rice noodles - 1/2 lb ((sometimes called vermicelli. sub angel hair))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
- Hot sauce
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/3 cup, crushed
- Boil noodles according to package instructions. The best way to keep them from sticking after cooking is to run them in cold water and then leave soaked in cold water. Drain right before serving
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Add in 2 tsp. (10 ml) brown sugar, 1 tbs. (15 ml) fish sauce, and as much hot sauce as you want. Toss and saute until cooked through, ~5 minutes. Remove from heat
- Make sauce by mixing together simple syrup with rest of fish sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, and as much hot sauce as you want (I typically use about 2 squirts of Sriracha). Season to taste - if you want it saltier, add more fish sauce; more tart, add more lime juice
- Let everyone assemble their own bowls of noodles and top them with shrimp, lettuce, cucumbers, mint, carrots, and crushed peanuts. Toss with as much sauce as desired
This meal has 15 reviews
This was a very good meal. Tastes like summer!
My favorite meal so far. Used basil and cilantro in place of mint.
Next time I'll skip the mint and add cilantro and bean sprouts instead. Delicious!
This was our first recipe to make from C.S. It was good. Will definitely make again but would increase hot sauce, fish sauce and lime to make the nuoc nam a little more zesty. I also don't like peanuts so left those out. Plenty of texture and really healthy.
Should have doubled the sauce but this very yummy and light.
The sauce was Soooo Good. Will make this one over and over again!