Pulled Pork Soup with Mushrooms and Kale
with quick guac
This flavorful soup will be a great first dinner to enjoy in 2015! Since the protein is already made, this soup will come together in a flash.
Smarts: Feel free to add other veggies into your soup and switch it up.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, diced
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 1/2 lb, quartered
- Kale - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Leftover pulled pork tenderloin (from Wed) - ~ 4 cups
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, carrots, kale stems, coriander, and tomato paste to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~3 minutes.
- Next add in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Fold in mushrooms, leftover pork, and kale leaves. Simmer for ~10 minutes uncovered.
- Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Serve soup with lime wedges.
This could have been better, but I think that it was mostly the canned enchilada sauce, which was a little too spicy for the kids, and bitter tasting. I'll make my own next time. Spinach might be better for our family, too. The chard was a little too tough. I'll probably make this again, with modifications.0 Helpful
Fantastic flavor, but the corn tortillas turned to mush and fell apart. Next time I'll make it as a layered casserole so that won't matter.0 Helpful
Liked this much more than the meatball dish the night before.0 Helpful
I used corn tortillas and they were just soggy and fell apart. Substituted kale for chard, which was good0 Helpful
Love, love, loved this meal! We'll definitely be making it again!0 Helpful
I really liked this. Ironically, I wasn't wild about the meatball sauce with yesterday's meal but I loved it as an enchilada sauce. I also added a rotisserie chicken for added protein and used low carb tortillas to drop the carbs. Very good and filling!0 Helpful