Black Bean and Chard Enchiladas
with quick guac
Smarts: Feel free to add other veggies into your filling and switch it up.
- Cheese, Mexican - 2 cups, grated
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover meatball sauce (from Wed) - ~ 4 cups
- Gluten-free tortillas - 8
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Cheese - Grate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Black beans - Drain and rinse.
- Chard - Prep as directed (similar to this video for kale) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F degrees (or 190C).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chard stems to the heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes, until softened. Next add in as many chard leaves as can fit into the pan. Add more as room is made in the pan.
- Add half of the leftover sauce and black beans. Saute for ~3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a rectangular baking dish (about 9 x 13) with half of the remaining sauce.
- Divide filling into tortillas and arrange seam-side down in the pan. If the tortillas are not pliable, follow package instructions to soften. Cover in rest of the sauce, cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Chop cilantro and mince garlic. Mash with avocado and lime juice. Season with salt.
- Sprinkle enchiladas with cheese and bake uncovered for another 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Enjoy enchiladas fresh out of the oven with our quick guacamole.
This could have been better, but I think that it was mostly the canned enchilada sauce, which was a little too spicy for the kids, and bitter tasting. I'll make my own next time. Spinach might be better for our family, too. The chard was a little too tough. I'll probably make this again, with modifications.0 Helpful
Fantastic flavor, but the corn tortillas turned to mush and fell apart. Next time I'll make it as a layered casserole so that won't matter.0 Helpful
Liked this much more than the meatball dish the night before.0 Helpful
I used corn tortillas and they were just soggy and fell apart. Substituted kale for chard, which was good0 Helpful
Love, love, loved this meal! We'll definitely be making it again!0 Helpful
I really liked this. Ironically, I wasn't wild about the meatball sauce with yesterday's meal but I loved it as an enchilada sauce. I also added a rotisserie chicken for added protein and used low carb tortillas to drop the carbs. Very good and filling!0 Helpful