Black Bean and Chard Enchiladaswith quick guac
These flavorful enchiladas will be a great first dinner to enjoy in 2015! Since the sauce is already made, your bubbly cheesy casserole will come together in a flash. Just kick back and enjoy the smells from your oven.
Smarts: Feel free to add other veggies into your filling and switch it up.
- Cheese, Mexican - 2 cups, grated
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover meatball sauce (from Wed) - ~ 4 cups
- Tortillas, corn or flour - 8
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Cheese - Grate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Black beans - Drain and rinse.
- Chard - Prep as directed (similar to this video for kale) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F degrees (or 190C).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chard stems to the heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes, until softened. Next add in as many chard leaves as can fit into the pan. Add more as room is made in the pan.
- Add half of the leftover sauce and black beans. Saute for ~3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a rectangular baking dish (about 9 x 13) with half of the remaining sauce.
- Divide filling into tortillas and arrange seam-side down in the pan. If the tortillas are not pliable, follow package instructions to soften. Cover in rest of the sauce, cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Chop cilantro and mince garlic. Mash with avocado and lime juice. Season with salt.
- Sprinkle enchiladas with cheese and bake uncovered for another 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Enjoy enchiladas fresh out of the oven with our quick guacamole.
This meal has 45 reviews
Fantastic flavor, but the corn tortillas turned to mush and fell apart. Next time I'll make it as a layered casserole so that won't matter.
Liked this much more than the meatball dish the night before.
I used corn tortillas and they were just soggy and fell apart. Substituted kale for chard, which was good
Love, love, loved this meal! We'll definitely be making it again!
I really liked this. Ironically, I wasn't wild about the meatball sauce with yesterday's meal but I loved it as an enchilada sauce. I also added a rotisserie chicken for added protein and used low carb tortillas to drop the carbs. Very good and filling!
These were good and easy to throw together- we used spinach instead of chard. I only wished the sauce had a little more heat, so I may adapt this for next time.