Veggie Focaccia Melts
and olive and sundried tomato tapenade
Vegetarian Melts with Olive and Sundried Tomato Tapenade:
- Tomatoes - 1 , sliced
- Eggplant, Chinese - 1
- Zucchini - 2
- Focaccia - 10 oz
- Cheese (fontina or mozzarella) - 4 slices
Olive & Sundried Tomato Tapenade:
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Sundried tomatoes - 3 Tbsp
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/4 cup
- Parsley, fresh - 6 sprigs , stems removed
- Thyme leaves (fresh) - 1/2 tsp , remove leaves from stems
- Capers - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/3 cup
- Make tapenade - Pulse garlic clove, sundried tomatoes, olives, parsley, thyme, capers, Dijon, and olive oil in a food processor. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomato - Slice into 1/2” (or 1.25 cm) thick pieces.
- Eggplant / Zucchini - Slice into thin 1/2” (or 1.25 cm) thick strips. Brush with some oil and lightly salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill eggplant and zucchini, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side (you might have to do it in batches). Set aside.
- Slice open focaccia for open-faced melts. Spread tapenade onto bread and top with grilled eggplant and zucchini slices and tomato slices. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and then top with cheese.
- Broil in the oven (about 6” - 15 cm - from heat source) for 6 to 8 minutes (keep an eye out though in case your broiler is extra strong and you don’t want to burn the cheese!).
- Enjoy sandwiches fresh out of the oven!
- Start slow-cooking tomorrow night’s dinner if desired.