Veggie Focaccia Melts
and olive and sundried tomato tapenade
Smarts: Double this tapenade and use it as an appetizer for an impromptu gathering.
- Tomatoes - 1, sliced
- Eggplant, Chinese - 1
- Zucchini - 2
- Focaccia - 10 oz
- Cheese (fontina or mozzarella) - 4 slices
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Sundried tomatoes - 3 Tbsp
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/4 cup
- Parsley, fresh - 6 sprigs, stems removed
- Thyme leaves (fresh) - 1/2 tsp, remove leaves from stems
- Capers - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/3 cup
- Make tapenade - Pulse garlic clove, sundried tomatoes, olives, parsley, thyme, capers, Dijon, and olive oil in a food processor. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomato - Slice into 1/2” (or 1.25 cm) thick pieces.
- Eggplant / Zucchini - Slice into thin 1/2” (or 1.25 cm) thick strips. Brush with some oil and lightly salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill eggplant and zucchini, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side (you might have to do it in batches). Set aside.
- Slice open focaccia for open-faced melts. Spread tapenade onto bread and top with grilled eggplant and zucchini slices and tomato slices. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and then top with cheese.
- Broil in the oven (about 6” - 15 cm - from heat source) for 6 to 8 minutes (keep an eye out though in case your broiler is extra strong and you don’t want to burn the cheese!).
- Enjoy sandwiches fresh out of the oven!
- Start slow-cooking tomorrow night’s dinner if desired.
Delicious! I made it with edamame pasta and it was wonderful.0 Helpful
made with chicken instead of tuna. LOVED!!0 Helpful
Great flavor! Nothing lost by leaving out the olives. The tuna was great in this making it even easier to put together. We used albacore tuna- it's a little more expensive, but I feel it tastes less "fishy"0 Helpful
Very good. Splurged on it with Whole Wheat noodles. Much better with wheat noodles than a tomato based sauce is.0 Helpful
Loved the combination of flavors! Substituted red wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar.0 Helpful
Winner all the way around!0 Helpful