Mediterranean Chicken Saute
Smarts: If you have more time, caramelize the onions longer for an even sweeter, more concentrated flavor.
- Thyme - 1 tsp + 1 tsp, remove leaves from stems
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 2, halved
- Onions - 1/2, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 2, sliced thinly
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/4 cup, sliced
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- White wine - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Couscous (uncooked) - 3/4 cup
- Make chicken marinade - Separate thyme leaves from stems by running thumb and index finger down the stem. Mix together soy sauce, red wine vinegar, first part of thyme, Dijon mustard, and first part of cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts, cover in marinade, and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Red Peppers / Olives / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts to heated pan. Sear for ~3 minutes on each side and then remove from pan.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add onions with a dash of salt and saute for ~3 minutes, until softened.
- Add diced tomatoes (not drained), red peppers, white wine, and second part of thyme. Simmer for ~10 minutes.
- Add olives and parsley. Return chicken to pan. Lower heat and cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Finish chicken saute with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy with couscous.
This is one of the recipes I come back to on weeknights. Everyone loves it and it's easy to keep the ingredients on hand.0 Helpful
Add 0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes Add artichoke, olives and capsicum roasted strips Add spinach at end Use chicken thigh Add parsley to couscous Add salt and pepper while sauce simmers0 Helpful
It probably would have been better had my husband not misread the recipe and put a 1/4 cup of lemon in it. :/ That being said, I would definitely make it again...correctly! The chicken was perfect!0 Helpful
Very easy to throw together especially if you marinate the chicken the night before. We used a boxed couscous that was rosemary and olive oil flavored and it went really well with this dish.0 Helpful
This didn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'm really glad I made it anyway, because it was delicious!0 Helpful
Really good. Wish I could have had it with the couscous but, alas, the carb count is simply too high.0 Helpful