Pizza with Spinach-Artichoke Sauce
with quick lemony broccoli
This is like our pizza take on spinach-artichoke dip. We promise you won't miss the tomato sauce at all.
Smarts: Turn this sauce into a 'pesto' by adding in some walnuts or pine nuts and toss with pasta for another take on it.
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Artichoke hearts - 1 cup
- Baby spinach - 2 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Sundried tomatoes - 5 , chopped
- Mozzarella - 6 oz, grated
- Red pepper flakes - for serving
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. This is tip #1 to good pizza - resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.
- Make sauce - Place artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until thickened, and season to taste with more salt and pepper as needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Sundried tomatoes / Mozzarella - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees and position top rack so it’s at the very top.
- Brush a sheet pan with some olive oil. Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan - it should be pretty easy to do if you let the dough rest. Brush dough with a bit of olive oil.
- Bake dough on top rack for 3 minutes without toppings. This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.
- Spread the spinach-artichoke sauce over dough, cover in cheese, and sprinkle on sundried tomatoes.
- Bake pizza on the top rack for 8 to 11 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While pizza is baking, place broccoli in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 ½ to 3 minutes, until broccoli is tender but still crunchy. Finish with lemon juice, plus some salt and pepper. You can also drizzle on some good olive oil (not listed in ingredient list).
- Enjoy pizza hot out of the oven with red chili flakes and broccoli on the side.
Added mushrooms and parm at the end. Really good!0 Helpful
Good, would do again.0 Helpful
The kids were suspicious of the green sauce, but my husband and I really loved it. Will make again and get these kiddos used to veggie sauce!0 Helpful
The sauce on this pizza is amazing. It's a favorite!0 Helpful
Husband loves it. I'd use better quality dough next time--just used pillsbury in a can.0 Helpful
Incredible! We started making this once a week and switching out the veggies and having it on hand for quick lunches paired w a salad!0 Helpful