Shrimp and Udon Noodles in Green Curry Soup
with baby spinach and straw mushrooms
Smarts: Using canned mushrooms and pre-washed baby spinach means no-prep veggies.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Udon noodles, dried - 6 oz
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped into 2" strips
- Straw mushrooms (14 oz) - 1 can
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Chicken stock - 4 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add in mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are cooked through, pink on the outside and no longer translucent, ~4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in spinach leaves. Finish with lime juice. Season soup to taste with more fish sauce, sweetener, or lime juice.
- Divide noodles and soup into bowls. Enjoy piping hot - and don’t eat the lemongrass!
- If you’re making tomorrow’s chicken, you can get a head start on the marination for more flavor.
Made with Red Curry Paste. SO SO easy and SO delicious.0 Helpful
Used chicken as I couldn't find local prawn. Very hot but delicious.0 Helpful
Love spicy green curry and creamy coconut together! We use chicken, and I have a great curry paste on hand so I make this often, switching up the veggies.0 Helpful
This dish was great! I was dubious as the smell of the curry paste turned me off. I used the whole can of coconut milk, skipped the lemongrass (grocer didn't have any), and used juice from whole lime. YUM. This was a no chop dish and I love it! Unique way of using spinach, too. 141% RDA of sodium is my only con for this dish.0 Helpful
I made the version with "zoodles" and it was truly amazing. My vegetable-phobic roommate's comment was "next time can you make more zoodles"? Wonderful flavors - two thumbs way up.0 Helpful
I added extra spice with a few dashes of sriracha and extra fish sauce and lime. A hit with family, although might try fresh udon next time.0 Helpful