Shrimp and Udon Noodles in Green Curry Soup
with baby spinach and straw mushrooms
This crowd goes wild every time we feature noodles, and I'm sure this herbaceous noodle soup is going to soon become a favorite for many of you. Don't be afraid to slurp away!
Smarts: Using canned mushrooms and pre-washed baby spinach means no-prep veggies.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Udon noodles, dried - 6 oz
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped into 2" strips
- Straw mushrooms (14 oz) - 1 can
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Chicken stock - 4 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add in mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are cooked through, pink on the outside and no longer translucent, ~4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in spinach leaves. Finish with lime juice. Season soup to taste with more fish sauce, sweetener, or lime juice.
- Divide noodles and soup into bowls. Enjoy piping hot - and don’t eat the lemongrass!
- If you’re making tomorrow’s chicken, you can get a head start on the marination for more flavor.
Made with Red Curry Paste. SO SO easy and SO delicious.0 Helpful
Used chicken as I couldn't find local prawn. Very hot but delicious.0 Helpful
Love spicy green curry and creamy coconut together! We use chicken, and I have a great curry paste on hand so I make this often, switching up the veggies.0 Helpful
This dish was great! I was dubious as the smell of the curry paste turned me off. I used the whole can of coconut milk, skipped the lemongrass (grocer didn't have any), and used juice from whole lime. YUM. This was a no chop dish and I love it! Unique way of using spinach, too. 141% RDA of sodium is my only con for this dish.0 Helpful
I made the version with "zoodles" and it was truly amazing. My vegetable-phobic roommate's comment was "next time can you make more zoodles"? Wonderful flavors - two thumbs way up.0 Helpful
I added extra spice with a few dashes of sriracha and extra fish sauce and lime. A hit with family, although might try fresh udon next time.0 Helpful