Kale Salad with Roasted Root Veggies and Lentils
with a balsamic-apple cider vinaigrette
Smarts: Feel free to use any type of root veggies you want, or sub a grain for lentils. This is *your* salad.
- Kale (any type but we used lacinato / dino) - 1 large bunch
- Homemade balsamic-apple cider vinaigrette - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Radishes - 6, halved
- Parsnips - 2, peeled and cubed
- Turnips, rutabagas, or kohlrabi - 2, peeled and cubed (Pick whichever one you would like)
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Vacuum-packed, cooked lentils - 1 cup (Look in the refrigerated aisle where tofu is kept. If not available, substitute canned lentils)
- Goat cheese (opt) - 2 oz, crumbled
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette: Whisk together balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate kale - Prep kale by tearing leaves off of stems and into bite-sized pieces. Toss with first part of vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Parsnips / Turnips, Rutabagas, or Kohlrabi - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Roast veggies - Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Toss radishes, parsnips, and turnips with cooking oil on a sheet pan. Roast for 25 minutes, shaking once midway through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper fresh out of the oven. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Lentils - Drain and rinse if using canned.
- If you made your roasted root veggies well ahead of time and want them to be warm, microwave for 45 seconds or warm in the oven at 300F (149C) degrees for 10 minutes.
- Toss remainder of the vinaigrette with roasted root veggies, kale, and lentils. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add goat cheese and enjoy!
Added bacon. Simple and delicious.0 Helpful
Used sweet potatoes in place of lentils. Used my Local Fare veggies including some Brussels Sprouts. As it has been cold in Florida it was a great winter salad. My 19-yr old enjoyed the veggies and my husband didn't complain about the Kale! That is what I call a miracle!0 Helpful
Love this recipe! I've made it several times as a side and main dish, just without the salmon or lentils. It's hearty and delicious. Note to self: use less dressing.0 Helpful
Very good! Added roasted sweet potatoes and sunflower seeds.0 Helpful
Kids didn't like it, but the grownups did0 Helpful
Was my first meal with CookSmarts. Was an...interesting...experiment. Not sure if i liked it or not though. Need some more practice with lentils to figure out if I cooked them enough or not.0 Helpful