Pureed Ginger Butternut Squash Soup
with kale and apple salad
Smarts: Don't be afraid to spice up your soup. Use our spice infographics for ideas.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Ginger - 1 1/2 inches, sliced
- Onions (small) - 1, chopped
- Apples - 1, peeled and chopped
- Butternut squash, small - 1, cubed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 4 cups
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Dino / lacinato kale - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems removed
- Apples - 1, sliced or chopped ((choose your favorite type))
- Almonds - 1/4 cup
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette / marinade: Whisk together balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate kale - Prep kale by tearing leaves off of stems and into bite-sized pieces. Toss with first half of vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- For soup | Garlic / Ginger / Onions / Butternut Squash - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For soup and salad | Apples - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, ginger, and onions to heated oil with a generous pinch of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in apples, butternut squash, and maple syrup. Saute until you get some caramelization on the veggies, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in enough stock to cover ingredients. Cover with lid and bring to a boil and then simmer for ~10 minutes.
- After soup has simmered and squash is tender, puree with an immersion / stick blender (like in this video) when it’s cool enough to work with (or transfer into a blender in batches). If using an immersion blender, I like to move the pot into the kitchen sink in case of spattering. Puree until smooth. Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, or more sweetener. We use unsalted homemade stock, so we added ~2 tsp (10 ml) salt to our final product to make it taste like we wanted.
- Toss kale, apples, almonds, and sunflower seeds with second half of the vinaigrette. Enjoy with soup! If you want some extra crunch in your soup, you can add some almonds or sunflower seeds to that too.
A little too spicy from the amount of ginger.0 Helpful
Double the pita croutons so you have some to dip in the soup. I'd reduce the amount of chicken stock next time so it is less watery.0 Helpful
The salad I could take or leave, but I loved the soup!0 Helpful
Even though I'm not vegetarian, would prefer a base besides chicken broth. Our homemade chicken broth overpowered the squash. Otherwise very tasty, nice flavor. A good food for my 9-month old son. Substituted broccoli instead of kale.0 Helpful
We only made the soup. It was pretty good. I would add more ginger next time as I couldn't really taste it. Also this soup is more on the sweet side since it is butternut squash and an apple. Not as savory as I was expecting it to be.0 Helpful
Love anything with fresh ginger0 Helpful