Italian Sausage and Chard Soup
with apple spinach salad
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, diced
- Apples, any variety - 1, sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make vinaigrette. Dice shallots and whisk with balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste as needed with salt and pepper. Slice apples.
- Return to soup. Add in chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley.
- Toss vinaigrette with sliced apples and baby spinach. Enjoy with hot soup!
This was a great way to use some CSA items, added carrots and scapes and subbed collard greens- it was great0 Helpful
Really liked the garlic bread. The soup was quite good but chard gives it a bit of a "dirty" taste.0 Helpful
Yum! Perfect comfort food!!0 Helpful
Delicious. Made with kale and still great. Even four year old age some!0 Helpful
This was awesome. Used spicy Italian sausage and subbed spinach for the chard because I'm lazy. Excellent on a cold winter day.0 Helpful
Pretty simple too.0 Helpful