Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with parmesan garlic bread
Smarts: Feeling lazy? Sub baby spinach for the chard for less prep.
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 3 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette, gluten-free - 8 oz ((1/3 to 1/2 a loaf))
- For bread & soup | Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For soup | Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat up oven to 375F (191C) degrees. Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Enjoy with garlic bread! Soup can be served with parmesan if you’re a big cheese fan.
This was a great way to use some CSA items, added carrots and scapes and subbed collard greens- it was great0 Helpful
Really liked the garlic bread. The soup was quite good but chard gives it a bit of a "dirty" taste.0 Helpful
Yum! Perfect comfort food!!0 Helpful
Delicious. Made with kale and still great. Even four year old age some!0 Helpful
This was awesome. Used spicy Italian sausage and subbed spinach for the chard because I'm lazy. Excellent on a cold winter day.0 Helpful
Pretty simple too.0 Helpful