Open-Faced Pesto Turkey Avocado Melt
with Greek-inspired tomato soup
Smarts: For an even faster shortcut, buy pre-made tomato soup and just garnish with olives and feta.
- Avocados (large) - 1 ((Sub 2 small))
- Sandwich bread - 4 slices
- Store-bought pesto - 4 Tbsp
- Turkey slices - 8
- Cheese (like Swiss, gruyere, mozzarella) - 4 slices
- Onions (small) - 1, chopped
- Kalamata olives - 1/4 cup, pitted and sliced
- Diced tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can, drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover roasted carrots - ~1/2 cup ((from Wednesday))
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Feta - 2 Tbsp, crumbled
- Heat oven to 375F (191C) degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and leftover carrots to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes, until onions start to soften.
- Add in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil, and then simmer uncovered for ~10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, lay out sandwich bread onto a sheet pan. Spread 1 tbsp (15ml) of pesto on each piece of bread, and then layer with turkey, avocado, and cheese. Bake in the oven for 6 to 9 minutes, until cheese has melted and is slightly golden.
- After soup has simmered, puree with an immersion / stick blender (like in this video) when it’s cool enough to work with (or transfer into a blender in batches). If using an immersion blender, I like to move the pot into the kitchen sink in case of spattering. Puree until smooth. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup into bowls. Garnish with olives and feta. Enjoy with your melts right out of the oven!
It was my first dish to try with this service, haven't expected anything but it turned out so delicious! Haven't mashed avocado though to get more texture in sandwiches. And really loved the soup, it's so simple and effortless but has such a nice taste.0 Helpful
This was very good. I used a Parmesan rind in the soup and finished with a tiny bit of half and half. Next time I will go lighter on the oregano - just my preference. The sandwich was very good, too.0 Helpful
I used Amy's soup. An easy and good shortcut. A great and easy dinner.0 Helpful
Sandwich was awesome! Soup was just ok, but I didn't put in olives, forgot to season it with salt and pepper and forgot the garnish, so didn't make it right. It was still ok though.0 Helpful
Good, but a little oily.0 Helpful
We've made this tomato soup several more times. I thought this was a great fall dinner.0 Helpful