Pasta with Shortcut Cream of Mushroom Tomato Sauce+ brown sugar roasted baby carrots
This was one of the first dishes my husband cooked for me and even though it uses a canned soup, I love it. It's a great little shortcut for making a rich, umami tasting tomato sauce!
Smarts: Baby carrots are for more than snacking. These pre-prepped carrots are an easy shortcut for roasted vegetables and soups too!
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Pasta (like a penne or fusilli) - 8 oz
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup (14 oz) - 1 can
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dried oregano - 1/4 tsp
- Dried basil - 1/4 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - for serving
- Baby carrots - 12 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - a sprinkle
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby Carrots - If you have thicker baby carrots, slice them in half lengthwise. Otherwise, no prep needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook pasta - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Toss carrots in cooking oil and some salt and pepper on a sheet pan. If you want to use any spices, like thyme, cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg, feel free to use 1/2 a teaspoon (2.5ml). Roast for 25 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- Open up your cans of cream of mushroom soup and crushed tomatoes.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and shallots to heated oil. Once you can smell the aromatics, add in crushed tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, oregano, and basil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season sauce to taste with salt, pepper, and / or a sweetener if the tomatoes are still too acidic.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to coat.
- Once baby carrots are done roasting, toss them hot out of the oven with brown sugar. If making tomorrow’s dinner, reserve a 1/2 cup (118ml) of the carrots.
- Enjoy with pasta - if using parmesan, let everyone sprinkle on the amount they want over pasta.
This meal has 29 reviews
The chicken was so-so, but the carrots! mmmmm!
I ended up adding a fairly large amount of sweeteners in order to make the sauce less acidic, but it was pretty tasty in the end. Not one of my favorites of all the recipes on here, but still yummy compared to what I usually make. The carrots were fantastic though!
I didn't have the skillet to enable the searing prior to baking--it turned out okay, still, but I suspect the chicken would've had more texture and been juicier if I had.
This was yummy and simple! I added a pound of ground beef for more protein.
Love mushrooms, so that was a given, but the carrots were really, really good. I added some cinnamon and thyme to them.
Delicious! I think I'll try it over spaghetti squash next...