Weeknight Tofu Stir-Fry
with carrots, mushrooms, and celery
This quick one-pan meal is sure to become an easy fall favorite. Plus, once you make this stir-fry, you have the smarts to swap in any of your favorite proteins and vegetables for endless variety.
Smarts: Chop longer-to-cook ingredients like carrots thinly so they cook faster.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions (medium) - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly
- Celery - 3 stalks, sliced at a bias
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb, cubed
- Corn starch - 2 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 1/2 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Salt - to taste
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Brown rice, uncooked - 1 1/3 cups ((yields ~3 cups of cooked rice))
- Cook brown rice - This makes enough for tomorrow’s dinner. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water, ~45 minutes. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Reserve 1 cup (236 ml) (if making 4 servings) for tomorrow night’s dinner (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Carrots / Celery / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tofu - Prep as directed and toss with first part of corn starch. To learn more about cooking with tofu, check out this video.
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix minced garlic with soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, vegetable broth, and second part of corn starch.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until tofu is golden and crispy on the outside. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return wok back to heat and then add second part of cooking oil. Add onions, celery, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~10 minutes, until carrots are tender but still crunchy. If the pan ever looks too dry and ingredients may burn, just add a splash of water or vegetable broth.
- Add mushrooms and tofu back to pan. Push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Give your stir-fry sauce a stir and pour into the hole. Wait for it to bubble and darken before tossing everything through and making sure all the ingredients are coated in the sauce. Cook until all ingredients are tender.
- Remove from heat. Finish with lemon juice, and season with salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Enjoy with rice (remember to save 1 cup (235ml) for tomorrow night’s dinner)!
Sauce was not very exciting0 Helpful
Best sauce I've ever made!0 Helpful
Liked by all in this household- winner :)0 Helpful
Had to favorite this one because it was so easy and has ingredients that I am likely to have in my fridge, pantry and freezer. It was easy and the sauce was really good.0 Helpful
Sauce was kind of bland...maybe some fish sauce, oyster sauce, or toasted sesame oil could have jazzed up the flavor.0 Helpful
I think I put too much salt ...0 Helpful