Broccoli Fritters with Yogurt Sauce
+ roasted oregano potatoes
Smarts: Potatoes cook up crispier and faster when you first steam them in the oven.
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Eggs - 2
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup, grated
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil spray - as needed
- Homemade yogurt sauce - 1/2 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- New or red potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, quartered
- Dried oregano - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Fresh dill (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped ((or sub 1/4 tsp of dried))
- Plain Greek yogurt - 1 cup ((or sub traditional plain))
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Potatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Broccoli - Prep as directed. Place into a microwave-safe container with ½” (1.25 cm) of water. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 2 ½ to 3 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam broccoli for 5 to 6 minutes or boil in water for 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make fritter batter - Rough chop cooked broccoli so that broccoli pieces are very small. (An easy way to get small broccoli pieces is to use a masher.) Mince garlic. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and then combine flour, panko, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Fold in chopped broccoli and mix everything through. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - This makes enough for Wednesday. If prepping right before cooking, skip to 'Make' step #1 before returning to this prep step. Chop fresh dill if using. Mix with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and mustard. Refrigerate if making ahead. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F (260C) degrees. Spread potatoes out into one even layer on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and ‘steam’ for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are steaming, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking oil and then drop in 1/4 cup (59 ml) of batter per fritter. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Work in batches until all the fritters are made. You may need to add more oil in between batches.
- After potatoes have steamed for ~10 minutes, remove foil and toss potatoes with oregano and cooking oil. Return to oven and roast for another 10 to 12 minutes, until golden and crispy on the outside. Salt and pepper right out of the oven.
- Enjoy broccoli and potatoes with yogurt sauce (remember to save half for Wednesday).
yogurt was really the star here. added green beans to the potatoes for the second roast to have some veggies0 Helpful
Didn't know yogurt could taste so good with salmon and potatoes! I would probably just advise adding a bit more to the plate though lol. Some green veggies would make it even better!0 Helpful
I added roasted Bok Choy for some greens and it was delicious.0 Helpful
Wished it was paired with rice ;) but the potatoes turned out very tasty!0 Helpful
Thought the salmon and potatoes were kind of plain. Would have liked a veggie on the side to jazz it up.0 Helpful
Yay! The second salmon dish I have really liked!0 Helpful