Shakshuka with Leftover Polentaand mixed green salad with sherry vinaigrette
Shakshuka is a classic baked Mediterranean egg dish that's great for dinner and brunch. It's full of flavors from the tomatoes and spices, and is lovely spooned over your leftover polenta.
Smarts: Not a polenta fan? This dish is great with grains or bread.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 3, seeds removed and diced ((sub 1 green pepper))
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 6
- Leftover polenta (from Mon) - ~2 cups
- Sherry or red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan and then garlic, onions, celery and jalapenos to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened.
- Add in diced tomatoes with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Mix everything through. Saute for ~4 minutes.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Heat up leftover polenta. Spoon shakshuka over polenta and garnish with parsley. Toss greens with vinaigrette. Enjoy on the side!
This meal has 27 reviews
Meh. Overwhelmed by the tomato flavor. Didn’t have onion so used shallot. Would not make again.
Wow the salad was amazing! Struggled to get the eggs cooked to a texture I liked--could there be guidelines included in future iterations of egg recipes (such as "2 minutes for very runny yolk, 3 minutes for partially hardened, and 5 for completely cooked through" or whatever)?
I added mushroom (after the onions but before tomatoes), and it was YUM!
Love egg for dinner!
Yum! Loved the shakshuka. Great spicing.
This was delicious and different! It's like a twist on huevos rancheros. My eggs took a little longer to cook as well, but they got there eventually. I'd love to make this again - and I think it would be great for brunch.