Shakshuka with Leftover Polenta
and mixed green salad with sherry vinaigrette
Smarts: Not a polenta fan? This dish is great with grains or bread.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 3, seeds removed and diced ((sub 1 green pepper))
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 6
- Leftover polenta (from Mon) - ~2 cups
- Sherry or red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan and then garlic, onions, celery and jalapenos to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened.
- Add in diced tomatoes with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Mix everything through. Saute for ~4 minutes.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Heat up leftover polenta. Spoon shakshuka over polenta and garnish with parsley. Toss greens with vinaigrette. Enjoy on the side!
This was really good. I didn't have any polenta so I used couscous. Nice flavours. I simmered my tomatoes (I only used fresh tomatoes) for 10-15 mins before adding the eggs which took maybe 10 minutes to cook. We had some leftover sauce that I ended up adding to jarred spaghetti sauce the next night and that added a nice flavour.0 Helpful
Meh. Overwhelmed by the tomato flavor. Didn’t have onion so used shallot. Would not make again.0 Helpful
Wow the salad was amazing! Struggled to get the eggs cooked to a texture I liked--could there be guidelines included in future iterations of egg recipes (such as "2 minutes for very runny yolk, 3 minutes for partially hardened, and 5 for completely cooked through" or whatever)?0 Helpful
I added mushroom (after the onions but before tomatoes), and it was YUM!0 Helpful
Love egg for dinner!0 Helpful
Yum! Loved the shakshuka. Great spicing.0 Helpful