Rice Bowl with Tofu
and leftover Asian slaw and Sriracha mayo
We use leftover rice from Tuesday and Asian slaw from Monday for an easy mid-week dish. Who needs a burrito bowl from Chipotle when you have our Asian version?
Smarts: Sprinkle a bit of corn starch on proteins to create extra texture and for better sauce adhesion.
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Mayo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - to taste ((~1 tsp is a good heat level))
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb , chopped into 1/2" cubes ((look for tofu that is vacuum-packed and not packaged in water))
- Corn starch - 2 Tbsp
- Leftover rice - ~2 cups
- Leftover Asian slaw - ~4 cups
- Lime - 1/2 , juice of
- Asian marinade (from Monday) - 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Black pepper - to taste
- Homemade Sriracha mayo - 1/2 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
Make Sriracha mayo - If not made from Monday, mix together minced garlic, mayo, lemon juice, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Tofu - Chop into ½” (1.25 cm) cubes. Toss with corn starch. If using tofu packaged in water, be sure to press out the liquid first.
Make rice - Mix leftover rice with Asian slaw. Finish with lime juice. If you want to serve it warm, heat it up in the microwave for ~1 minute.
Take out leftover Asian marinade (should have been made on Monday).
Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil.
Next add in tofu and try to arrange them so they’re in one even layer. Once they’re seared and golden (~4 minutes), flip them over and get the the opposite side golden. Saute for ~10 minutes total and then pour in Asian marinade. Toss to coat and finish with black pepper (as much as you want).
Top rice with tofu and Sriracha mayo.