Rice Bowl with Tofu
and leftover Asian slaw and Sriracha mayo
We use leftover rice from Tuesday and Asian slaw from Monday for an easy mid-week dish. Who needs a burrito bowl from Chipotle when you have our Asian version?
Smarts: Sprinkle a bit of corn starch on proteins to create extra texture and for better sauce adhesion.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Mayo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - to taste ((~1 tsp is a good heat level))
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb, chopped into 1/2" cubes ((look for tofu that is vacuum-packed and not packaged in water))
- Corn starch - 2 Tbsp
- Leftover rice - ~2 cups
- Leftover Asian slaw - ~4 cups
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Asian marinade (from Monday) - 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Black pepper - to taste
- Homemade Sriracha mayo - 1/2 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Make Sriracha mayo - If not made from Monday, mix together minced garlic, mayo, lemon juice, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - Chop into ½” (1.25 cm) cubes. Toss with corn starch. If using tofu packaged in water, be sure to press out the liquid first.
- Make rice - Mix leftover rice with Asian slaw. Finish with lime juice. If you want to serve it warm, heat it up in the microwave for ~1 minute.
- Take out leftover Asian marinade (should have been made on Monday).
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil.
- Next add in tofu and try to arrange them so they’re in one even layer. Once they’re seared and golden (~4 minutes), flip them over and get the the opposite side golden. Saute for ~10 minutes total and then pour in Asian marinade. Toss to coat and finish with black pepper (as much as you want).
- Top rice with tofu and Sriracha mayo.
We hacked together the original version and the paleo version to make this with chicken instead of tofu. It was really good! And really quick, with having already made the rice and the slaw and the mayo and the marinade.0 Helpful
I think if I followed the instructions and purchased the tofu in the vacuum pack rather than in water it would have been easier to brown. I put the tofu between two plates (with a mug of water on top) to squeeze out the water, but it wasn't enough - my tofu still turned out like scrambled eggs :-( Still tasty! The coating on the tofu made a crispy crust that held the sauce really well - great idea!0 Helpful
Really good and so easy to make if you're doing the broccoli tacos in the same week.0 Helpful
Loved how easy it was to throw together.0 Helpful
Made this with beef, very tasty!0 Helpful
Loved how easy and delicious this was!0 Helpful