Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce
and orange and spinach salad with Asian vinaigrette
Your leftover chimichurri sauce gives some awesome flavor to these weeknight tacos. Paired with this sweet and savory salad, you have an awesome meal to end the week with.
Smarts: Chimichurri sauce freezes well, so freeze any leftovers and use within the year.
- Flank or skirt steak - 1 1/4 lb
- Homemade Asian vinaigrette - 1/4 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Roma tomatoes - 2, diced
- Cooking oil - for brushing
- Gluten-free tortillas - 8
- Leftover chimichurri sauce - 1/3 cup ((<a href="https://mealplans.cooksmarts.com/days/324" target="_blank">prepared from last night</a>))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, crushed
- Tamari - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 5 Tbsp
- Oranges (medium) - 2, supremed or segmented
- Shallots (small) - 1 bulb, sliced
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Asian vinaigrette - 1/4 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Prepare marinade / dressing - Crush garlic. Whisk with Tamari, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, brown sugar, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Cover steak in the Asian vinaigrette (remember, you’re also using some for the salad too). Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. Just remember to take it out 30 minutes before cooking. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- For salad | Oranges / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For tacos | Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Once pan is super hot, place steak onto pan and sear on both sides for ~3 minutes. Remove from pan, cover with foil and let rest. For a more well-done steak, turn down heat and cook for a few more minutes.
- Heat up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Slice steak into bite sized pieces.
- Dress oranges, shallots, and spinach with remainder of the Asian vinaigrette.
- Have everyone assemble their own tacos with steak, chimichurri sauce, and tomatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
The sauce is by far the best part of the recipe! So delicious!0 Helpful
I felt like I should have liked this, but we ended up dumping the steak out of the tortilla and eating it without. I think it maybe needed to be cut smaller in the taco?0 Helpful
Very good! I added cubed avocado to the taco and made a sriacha mayo for my husband as a sauce since he hates cilantro. Great that way too!0 Helpful
Basically I'm rating the sauce. I used this sauce (so good) on salmon and chicken. We grilled it then served in warm tortillas with the extra sauce. A small shake of hot sauce really gave it a nice extra kick.0 Helpful
One of my favorite meals!! I would suggest adding sesame seeds to the salad.0 Helpful
Chimichurri is epic, but steak wasn't my favorite flavor for flank/skirt steak. We didn't have tortillas so we made more cauliflower rice and finished off all of our sauce.0 Helpful