Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauceand orange and spinach salad with Asian vinaigrette
Your leftover chimichurri sauce gives some awesome flavor to these weeknight tacos. Paired with this sweet and savory salad, you have an awesome meal to end the week with.
Smarts: Chimichurri sauce freezes well, so freeze any leftovers and use within the year.
- Flank or skirt steak - 1 1/4 lb
- Homemade Asian vinaigrette - 1/4 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Roma tomatoes - 2, diced
- Cooking oil - for brushing
- Tortillas - 8
- Leftover chimichurri sauce - 1/3 cup ((prepared from last night))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, crushed
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 5 Tbsp
- Oranges (medium) - 2, supremed or segmented
- Shallots (small) - 1 bulb, sliced
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Asian vinaigrette - 1/4 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Prepare marinade / dressing - Crush garlic. Whisk with soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, brown sugar, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Cover steak in the Asian vinaigrette (remember, you’re also using some for the salad too). Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. Just remember to take it out 30 minutes before cooking. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- For salad | Oranges / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For tacos | Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Once pan is super hot, place steak onto pan and sear on both sides for ~3 minutes. Remove from pan, cover with foil and let rest. For a more well-done steak, turn down heat and cook for a few more minutes.
- Heat up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Slice steak into bite sized pieces.
- Dress oranges, shallots, and spinach with remainder of the Asian vinaigrette.
- Have everyone assemble their own tacos with steak, chimichurri sauce, and tomatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This meal has 32 reviews
Made homemade corn tortillas to go with this. Yum!
Very good. I need to remember to always marinate the skirt steak for at least 2 days though or I think it turns out tough. I like the other suggestions here to keep some of the cilantro and other things for toppings.
chimichurri sauce made the tacos very liquidy. Maybe we used too much or should have stuck more parsley/cilantro in the chimichurri.
Delicious, but it wasn't enough for 3 adults and a toddler even after I doubled the amount of corn. The salad also was a wonderful mix of flavors.
We didn't have corn so I used black beans to make the tacos more filling and add protein. Tasty! I like how each salad and dressing is a little different; this one was very good but not our favorite.
really good! i throw tacos like this together all the time; keep cilantro, tomato, inion or scallion, limes n tortillas at all times and you can cook any veg up into a filling. i liked that the accompanying salad suggestion was asian, it was a fun combo.