Penne with Creamy Sweet Potato Sauceand spinach and white beans
This pasta is going to become one of your fall favorites and your little one won't even know that it's not 'real' mac 'n cheese with our creamy sweet potato sauce.
Smarts: Repurpose pureed soups into pasta or protein sauces! The orange color of this sweet potato soup is perfect for passing off as mac 'n cheese if you have a picky eater.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, crushed
- White beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed ((~2 cups))
- Penne - 1/2 lb ((or choose a similar pasta shape))
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Leftover pureed sweet potato soup - 1 1/2 cups ((prepared from last night))
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup, crushed
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- White beans - Drain and rinse.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Reserve 1 cup (235 ml) of pasta water (for 4 servings of pasta; adjust accordingly for a different serving size).
- After pasta has drained, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then crushed garlic to heated oil.
- Once you can smell the garlic, add in leftover pureed sweet potato soup with pasta water. Simmer for ~2 minutes until the sauce has started to reduce.
- Add in pasta and toss until it’s all coated. Fold in spinach (don’t worry, it looks like a lot but it’ll cook down to nothing) and add in beans. Finish pasta with a squeeze of lemon juice and season dish with salt and pepper. Serve with crushed walnuts.
This meal has 38 reviews
I would add bacon next time
I think I need to try making this one again. I used store bought sweet potato soup to save some time. I bet this tastes way better if I would have made the recipe in its original form. It's worth another try!
I should have read the reviews. In its original state the recipe is VERY bland with little to no flavor.
Nothing special, but not bad either. Not sure I liked the nuts.
Added cheese based on other comments and it was great!
Loved it. Very unique.