Sweet Potato Slow-Cooker Chili
with house salad
It seems silly to make a big batch of chili and to only eat it once, so we're going to spread our chili across two meals. Enjoy as a standard chili the first night and tomorrow you'll turn your leftover chili into a great nacho filling.
Smarts: Soups develop more and more flavor as you let them sit. We recommend slow-cooking this before going to bed and then leaving it on warm the next day for more flavor development.
- English cucumbers - 1/2, chopped ((Or sub 2 Persians))
- Roma tomatoes - 2, chopped
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Chili powder - 3 tsp
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- Cumin - 3/4 tsp
- Oregano - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, crushed
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped - white and green parts separated
- Onions (medium) - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- Mexican blend cheese - 2 oz, grated ((We use a Jack and cheddar mix))
- Black or green olives - 5 oz, sliced
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed ((~2 cups of beans))
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes (14 oz) - 1 can, drained ((Sub normal diced tomatoes))
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (14 oz) - 1 can
- Corn kernels - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Make spice mix - Mix together chili powder, paprika, first part of salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Garlic / Green onions / Onions / Sweet potatoes / Cheese - Prep as directed. For cheese, if making tomorrow night’s nachos, you can just get it all grated. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Olives / Beans / Diced tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat up a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to skillet and then garlic, white parts of green onions, onions, and sweet potatoes to skillet. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onions are softened. (If not cooking in a slow cooker, just use a large Dutch oven instead of a skillet. After sauteing sweet potatoes, add rest of the chili ingredients and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes).
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a slow cooker.
- Add in olives, beans, diced and crushed tomatoes, corn, remainder of the spices, and the second part of salt.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. This is perfect to do before bed and the chili will be ready the next morning and then have the rest of the day to keep on developing flavors.
- If not already done from previous night, prepare vinaigrette by whisking together balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon, and cooking oil (double for tomorrow’s dinner). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with cucumbers, tomatoes, and greens.
- Cube avocado. Season chili to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce or any of the spices. Set aside half for tomorrow. Enjoy topped with green onions, cheese, avocado, and sour cream (if using) and salad on the side.
Excellent. Very flavourful. I also made some cornbread muffins to serve on the side, which went very well with the meal.0 Helpful
It was a tiny bit too salty but really good.0 Helpful
a few of my family members aren't crazy about sweet potatoes (I love them) and this chili was a HIT.0 Helpful
Very good flavor but not enough liquid. Had to add broth.0 Helpful
One of the best vegetarian chilis I've tasted yet! It turned out a little bit thick for my liking after 7 hours on the slow cooker in low. I would probably cook it a little less, or maybe add a little more crushed tomato.0 Helpful
Pretty standard chili recipe, came out delicious and very easy to prep the night before!0 Helpful