Baby Spinach Cobb Salad
with bacon, eggs, and avocado
Smarts: Baking bacon with a lined sheet pan lets you cook up a lot at once and also clean-up much easier.
- Eggs - 6
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Shallots (small) - 1 bulb, diced
- English cucumber - 1, chopped
- Roma tomatoes - 3, chopped
- Avocado (medium) - 1, cubed
- Balsamic vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Hard boil eggs - Cover eggs by 1” (2.5cm) of water. Salt generously and then bring to a boil. Once water has reached a boil, take it off the heat and just let it sit for 11 minutes. If not making right away, store with shells on in the fridge. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bacon - Heat an oven to 400F(or 204C) degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and then place a cooling rack in the sheet pan. Lay out bacon on rack and bake in the oven from 15 to 20 minutes until bacon is crispy on the edges. This is a great low-effort way to cook bacon and have all the fat drip off (with little clean up!). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cucumber / Tomatoes / Avocado - Prep as directed.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk garlic and shallots with balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peel and chop eggs.
- Chop bacon.
- Toss baby spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, and bacon with vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Start chili for tomorrow's dinner if slow-cooking overnight.
I added pepperoni as I saw that some people were saying it was bland. Was very enjoyable.0 Helpful
We added sausage for extra flavor.0 Helpful
A little bland. I added kalamata olives which helped. I agree some spicy sausage or bacon would be good and add a depth of flavor it needed.0 Helpful
Added some spicy sausage to it. It was pretty good - but think it would have been pretty bland without the sausage.0 Helpful
Really good base calzone. The marinara was delicious but next time we'll add more ingredients to the filling.0 Helpful
These were outstanding. Calzones can be bread-y but the filling was just rich enough and light enough to be just right.0 Helpful