Sausage Hoagieswith sweet potato fries
Sausage is one of our 'eat only sometimes foods', so grab your favorite brand and flavor and enjoy them with some sweet onions and peppers in a simple hoagie. Paired with sweet potato fries, this will be great for game day or a quick weeknight dinner.
Smarts: We like to slice our sausages and saute them for an extra layer of texture.
- Red onions - 1, sliced
- Green bell pepper - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, sliced
- Sausage (cooked) - 4 links, sliced on a bias
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Sausage buns - 4
- Condiments of choice - like ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, etc.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into fries
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - a sprinkle
- Condiments for dipping - like ketchup
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Toss sweet potatoes with cooking oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan, making sure fries don’t touch each other. Roast for 15 minutes, flip and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, until tender on the inside and crisp on the outside.
- Heat saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then sliced sausage to heated oil. Saute until golden, ~5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add second part of oil. Add onions to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in peppers and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water, coriander. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, until ingredients are softened. If at any point the pan looks dry and ingredients might burn, add more water.
- Toast buns in oven with sweet potatoes if desired. Spoon sausage and peppers into buns and drizzle with your favorite condiments (we love good ol’ ketchup and mustard). Enjoy with fries!
This meal has 32 reviews
Very good, but when I roasted the sweet potatoes as directed, when I flipped them after 15 minutes they were burnt. Onions and peppers were delicious. Next time I may just cook the sausages whole as they were falling out.
Real delicious. Used Trader Joes veggie sausage and trader joes pretezel buns, it was super tasty!
It was very tasty, but hard to eat. The food kept falling out so instead of having a piece of bread on top, we only had bread on the bottom. Much easier!
Best sweet potato fries EVER!!!!
At first glance, I thought-I really need a recipe to make sausage and peppers?! My husband said this was the best pepper-onion mix he's ever had and he wants me to make this again!!!
Added leftover spaghetti sauce to the peppers. Delish!