Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soupwith parmesan garlic bread
This is one of those soups that's not too heavy, so perfect for early fall when you're still bridging those warm days / cool nights. The beans make it feel hearty, the sausage lends it a deep savory flavor, and the chard is so sweet and soft, you barely realize you're eating something so healthy.
Smarts: Heat this up with some grains and throw it into a thermos for a no-heat needed lunch. Eat it outside and enjoy some sun and the cool air.
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 3 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- For bread & soup | Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For soup | Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat up oven to 375F (191C) degrees. Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Enjoy with garlic bread! Soup can be served with parmesan if you’re a big cheese fan.
This meal has 55 reviews
Awesome!! We used the Field Roast spicy sausage, and they were amazing!!
We really liked this dish! I used kale instead of chard, chicken sausage instead of regular sausage, and threw in a few potatoes that I had lying around. Delicious, and plenty of leftovers!
Used kale and didn't drain the tomatoes, but otherwise followed the recipe. Thought it was very yummy and makes a great lunch.
We used chorizo (we planned to do the vegetarian version which uses soyrizo but have not liked it in the past - so went with the meat version), very yummy!
used kale instead of chard, 1 full lb sausage and a 32 oz can of tomaotes with liquid
Hubby loved it, just will add more broth next time,