Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soupwith parmesan garlic bread
This is one of those soups that's not too heavy, so perfect for early fall when you're still bridging those warm days / cool nights. The beans make it feel hearty, the sausage lends it a deep savory flavor, and the chard is so sweet and soft, you barely realize you're eating something so healthy.
Smarts: Heat this up with some grains and throw it into a thermos for a no-heat needed lunch. Eat it outside and enjoy some sun and the cool air.
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 3 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- For bread & soup | Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For soup | Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat up oven to 375F (191C) degrees. Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Enjoy with garlic bread! Soup can be served with parmesan if you’re a big cheese fan.
This meal has 55 reviews
So delicious. Garlic bread was delicious! I would make it on it's own and save this recipe just for it! The only thing I would change is to not drain the tomatoes and to add more broth because it wasn't as soupy as I would have liked.
This was my first attempt using Cook Smarts. Just joined and I absolutely loved this! Added way more seasoning to the soup, but the end product was very delicious!
YUM. We forgot to add fresh parsley as a garnish, but it was just as delicious. Used some tomato basil bread for the garlic toast.
One of my absolute favorites yet! (Then again, I weirdly really love soups of all kinds.)
Delicious!!! LOVED the bread. We used a herb and garlic loaf, and it was so delicious. Next time I would probably try spicy italian sausage, we used mild this time.
This soup was amazing. It was even better when I had the remainder two days later for lunch. Try making it ahead of time and let it sit in your fridge a day.