Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soupwith parmesan garlic bread
This is one of those soups that's not too heavy, so perfect for early fall when you're still bridging those warm days / cool nights. The beans make it feel hearty, the sausage lends it a deep savory flavor, and the chard is so sweet and soft, you barely realize you're eating something so healthy.
Smarts: Heat this up with some grains and throw it into a thermos for a no-heat needed lunch. Eat it outside and enjoy some sun and the cool air.
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 3 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- For bread & soup | Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- For soup | Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat up oven to 375F (191C) degrees. Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Enjoy with garlic bread! Soup can be served with parmesan if you’re a big cheese fan.
This meal has 55 reviews
I like how this turned out! If I make it again, I will try adding jalapeno for some extra heat. I also think the bread had just a little too much garlic for my taste. I don't have a Dutch oven and the cook times in the recipe worked fine in a big old stainless steel pot.
Very tasty, especially with the delicious crusty bread! Accidentally bought pre-cooked sausage, so just heated it and seared it a bit in the pan before adding other ingredients.
I added about twice as much chicken broth. I will make this again.
I love all the veggies in this! I didn't have stock or canned tomatoes on hand, so I used water and fresh tomatoes instead - not a problem! Instead of chorizo, I cut up some German Frankfurter (sausages) which added a meaty smokey touch. All in touch, perfect healthy comfort food. Thank you!
I used Italian turkey sausage rather than pork sausage - it was great. Will make it again.
Made with turkey Italian hot sausage, really good!