Falafel Pita Sandwiches
with baba ghanoush
Smarts: Cooked falafel freeze incredibly well, so scale up if you want.
- Garbanzo beans (dried) - 1 1/2 cups
- Onions (small) - 1/2 to 1, chopped
- Leftover quinoa - 1 1/2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/2 bunch, bottom stems removed
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, bottom stems removed
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Romaine hearts - 1, chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Tomatoes - 1, chopped ((Or use 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes))
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Pitas - 4
- Store-bought baba ghanoush - 1 cup
- Garbanzo beans - Cover beans with a good amount of water. Soak overnight (or at least 12 hours). If you didn’t soak the beans, drain and rinse a can of cooked beans. However, your falafel mix will be wetter and you might need to use more quinoa or some type of flour to make it less sticky. (Should be done 1 day ahead)
- Make falafel filling - Rough chop onions. Puree soaked beans (or drained canned beans), leftover quinoa, cilantro, parsley, and garlic in a food processor. Add in onions a little bit at a time, until you have a batter that comes together without being too wet to form into balls or patties. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Form into 2” (5cm) wide and 1” (2.5cm) thick patties, and place onto a sheet pan. Cover and refrigerate if not making right away. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Romaine lettuce / Shallots / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F(or 191C) degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then sear falafel on opposite sides for 1 ½ minutes each. Transfer back to sheet pan and then bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Toast pitas in the oven for the last few minutes.
- Stuff pitas with falafel, baba ghanoush, lettuce, shallots, and tomatoes. Enjoy!
I liked this. Felt like it took a while, but the result was good. i made hummus rather than the Baba Ghanoush.0 Helpful
These were pretty tasty! Don't know if I liked them enough to make again, though. I swapped the baba ghanoush for a tzatziki sauce.0 Helpful
This was a pretty good dish overall. The falafels turned out pretty well. Hummus and pita are always a good combination!0 Helpful
It needed something that I couldn't put a finger on...0 Helpful
I added in some fresh lemon juice into the mix0 Helpful
Our falafel came out pretty dry.0 Helpful