with caprese and quinoa
Enjoy the last of summer tomatoes in our caprese salad and get your omega 3's in with some simple-to-make salmon. Enjoy both with quinoa that makes enough for two meals later this week.
Smarts: Balsamic vinaigrette goes great as a marinade and a dressing!
- Salmon - 1 lb, rinsed and dried
- Homemade balsamic vinaigrette - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp ((Ingredients listed separately))
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Quinoa - 1 2/3 cups, uncooked
- Tomatoes - 1 lb, chopped ((Choose your favorite while they're still in season!))
- Fresh mozzarella - 4 oz, sliced
- Basil - 10 leaves, chopped
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 1/4 cup ((Ingredients listed separately))
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mild-flavored oil - 1/4 cup ((Like grapeseed, avocado, vegetable))
- Quinoa - This makes enough for tonight, Wednesday, and Thursday’s dinners. Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade / vinaigrette - This makes enough for both salmon and caprese salad. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup (or other preferred sweetener), and cooking oil. Taste and then season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Salmon - Divide into desired number of fillets. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Cover in first part of marinade and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day (refrigerate for >30 minutes). (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Mozzarella / Basil - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven up to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then salmon - presentation side down - to heated oil. Sear for ~3 minutes, until salmon is golden.
- Transfer to oven (if using a non-stick pan, transfer to a sheet pan first) and cook for another 6 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of salmon and desired done-ness level.
- Toss tomatoes, mozzarella and basil with vinaigrette.
- Enjoy salmon with second part of marinade and caprese and quinoa.
Easy and delicious. Made rice instead of Quinoa and it was great!0 Helpful
Loved it. Would add some snap peas to the quinoa for a bit of crunch next time.0 Helpful
Very strange pairing. Enjoyable but I'm not sure if this would be a salmon meal if be too excited to make again0 Helpful
Simple and yummy, a perfect combo.0 Helpful
The sauce didn't do much for the salmon. I like my salmon plain or with a more honey mustard style sauce. Yes, basil was a miss...I just added normal lettuce to green it up...0 Helpful
Put the tomatoes and mozzarella over arugula and topped with the dressing. Served the salmon over the quinoa. Was a delicious gourmet meal! Rave reviews all around.0 Helpful